Thursday 5 June 2008

Verbs of fearing...

Saw the doctor yesterday (a regular feature of my life at the moment). We talked about all the knee/back/leg/foot problems of the past two years and he said that because of all this it was probably best that I avoided wearing what he called "fashion shoes" (i.e. anything that looks good) and stuck to wearing trainers whenever possible. Cue me sighing vainly.

He also looked at my feet and said, "You know, you have practically no fat on your feet."

I said, "Well, is there anything I can do to GET fat on my feet?", imagining a diet of chocolate milkshakes or something, to which he guffawed - he is the kind of man who never laughs but guffaws - and then replied, "No, not really. It's just the way you are."

So, yes. Am torn between feeling so worn out by the whole thing that I don't care anymore, and on the other hand wanting to fall to my knees (ow) and scream "WHEN, WHEN WILL THIS END?" Because none of it is exactly life-threatening and obviously I'm thankful for that, but on the other hand it's so, so annoying and makes me feel about ninety-five. (Dr E also said yesterday "It usually affects older people, you're quite unusual", which basically amounts to, "Yeah, you're a bit of a freak"). And also it's got to the point where I can no longer distinguish between health problems that are serious and ones that aren't, which AS WE ALL KNOW was not something I was good at in the first place, but all this is just making it worse.

Par exemple: elbow pain
Normal person: "Oh look, my elbow hurts. I'll take some painkillers in a sec."
Annie: "OH NOES! MY ELBOW! OH MY ELBOW! OH THIS IS CLEARLY LINKED TO ALL THE OTHER STUFF! OH ME! OH MY! WHAT HO! WHY WHY WHY" *collapses in panicked heap, etc*

And I miss running. SO much. I watched a runner go past me yesterday in the park and just thought, "You lucky BITCH."

Anyway, anyway. Bright sides: it's a beautiful day, I have strawberries, I also have ice-cream, and I think I'm ready for the Latin exam tomorrow. "Revised" just now by reading the whole of my Latin grammar book - all 149 pages - only I say "revised" because I was watching Casper at the same time so how much I actually took in is questionable. It's quite distressing, by the way, when you go back to a film you loved when you were little and realise it's actually a bit shit. (See also: Honey I Shrunk The Kids).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... since when was it -normal- to have fat on your feet? I just pummeled my feet, looking for fat. I don't understand. Where would it be???

Good luck in latin! ^^